Move-In Day Recap
On Friday, August 26, we welcomed 440 freshman to campus! With the assistance of the Residence Life staff and Tomcat football team, everyone was moved in safely and efficiently.
Orientation activities took place throughout the weekend, allowing new students to acclimate to campus and make friendships that will last a lifetime.
Welcome, Class of 2015!
Thiel recently renewed its contract with AVI Foodsystems, Inc. and a host of exciting renovations and changes in food service are on the horizon. Currently, the Bistro in the Howard Miller Student Center is being renovated; due to reopen in early October. Come back anytime to enjoy a meal in the Galleria Dining Hall. Be sure to mention that you are a Thiel alum to receive a discount!
Greek Life Update
Greek Life at Thiel is thriving. Fall recruitment began yesterday and lasts until Thursday for fraternities and Friday for sororities. Saturday, September 17 is bid day. Thiel’s four sororities and four fraternities all report high levels of interest. In other news, students, faculty and staff recently participated in voting for the first-ever Greek Awards at Thiel. Results will be announced in the October paw prints!
Scenes From Campus
Freshman enjoy an ice cream social at the President’s house on Sunday of Orientation weekend.
Darwin Porras ’12 and Ryan Prescott ’12, members of the ‘Blue Crew’, Thiel’s school spirit committee, take in the home football game vs. Widener on September 10.
Spotlight on Homecoming 2011
Campus is buzzing with anticipation for Homecoming 2011, September 23-25. You still have time to RSVP! Print and mail your registration form before this Friday, Sept. 16.
A few highlights as we look forward to the big weekend:
- Blue-Gold Golf Scramble - we still have space for teams of four or single golfers who wish to participate. Prizes will be awarded to the top overall team as well as top male, female and mixed teams. Go Tomcats!
- Reunion Years - If you are celebrating a reunion year (classes ending in ’1 or ’6) we want to see you! You are welcome to the Reunion Breakfast event on Saturday morning (reservation requested), then enjoy FREE admission to the post-game party tent as reunion year alumni! *Note: you must check in at registration to receive your reunion year ribbon.
- Tommy Tomcat’s Kid’s Zone - Future Tomcats (ages 3-12) can enjoy their own activities from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturday at Alumni Stadium. We will have inflatables, face painting, games, temporary tattoos, hair feathers*, ice cream treats and more! *Fee associated with hair feathers
- Tomcat Prowl - Calling all alumni to “prowl” the town with us on Saturday night! Visit all of your favorite Greenville spots and enjoy specials on food and drinks as a member of the Tomcat Prowl. Transportation is provided by bus, and all Prowlers will receive a t-shirt. Reservations are requested, and the $20 fee covers transportation, wristband and official Prowl t-shirt.
- Visit the Homecoming Web site to review the full weekend schedule. Don’t miss out on the largest celebration of the year!
Phonathon is Coming Soon!
Get ready for your Phonathon call! Our student callers are looking forward to talking with you. Phonathon will begin October 3.
Keep in Touch!
Let us know if you have new contact information or exciting news in your life. Fill in the online update form here.
Join Us On LinkedIn
Join the Thiel Alumni group on LinkedIn and network with fellow alumni today! Click here to join.
Peterson PAC Runner of the Week
Congratulations to senior Richard Peterson (Meadville, PA), who earned PAC Runner of the Week honors for the week of Sept. 6.
Peterson raced to a first-place finish out of 39 runners at the Geneva Invitational last week, and his efforts aided the Tomcats to capturing the team invitational title.
Keep up with the Tomcat cross-country team here.
Robbins Named Womens Lacrosse Coach
Thiel is thrilled to welcome Kati Robbins as the new head coach of Tomcat women’s lacrosse. Kati, a Wittenberg College graduate, was most recently a head coach at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian College, a Division II program in North Carolina.
Director of Athletics Jack Leipheimer ’74 says, “We are very excited to welcome Kati to our Thiel family; she brings experience, passion, knowledge and integrity and (she) will be an outstanding role model for our female student-athletes.”
Women’s Soccer off to Strong Start
With a victory over Pitt-Greensburg on Saturday, the women’s soccer team improved to a record of 3-2, already surpassing their total number of wins from last season! They look to continue their win streak with two home games this week, Monday vs. La Roche College (3 p.m.) and Saturday Sept. 17 vs. D’Youville (1 p.m.).
Thiel Athletics on Twitter
Follow @ThielAthletics to get real-time updates on your favorite Tomcat teams and athletes via Twitter!
Sept. 23-25, 2011
Visit the Homecoming page for full schedule and details.
Shenango Valley Alumni Mixer
Thursday, Oct. 27 from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Bella Cena Restaurant (3200 S. Hermitage Rd, Hermitage)
Join fellow alumni and friends for an evening of networking and socializing at Bella Cena, facilitated by Jerry Sovesky ’05, General Manager of Bella Cena!
Pittsburgh Alumni Golf Outing and Event
Saturday, Oct. 29
Morning tee time at 9-10 a.m.
Reception from 4-6 p.m.
Treesdale Country Club (One Arnold Palmer Dr, Gibsonia, PA 15044)
Save the date to join us in October at the Treesdale Country Club. Special golf rates will be offered to Thiel alumni, and all are welcome to attend the golf outing and/or cocktail reception to follow.
Alumni Network Nights
Join Thiel alumni in your city for an evening of networking and socializing!
Erie, PA Network Night
Thursday, Nov. 10 from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Oscar's Pub (2147 West 12th St., Erie, PA)
Cleveland, OH Network Night
Thursday, Nov. 17 from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Mavis Winkles Pub (5005 Rockside Rd., Independence, OH)
Pittsburgh, PA Network Night
Thursday, Dec. 1 from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Bar Louie Station Square (240 Station Square Dr, Pittsburgh, PA)
Alumni Basketball Day 2012
Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012
All men's and women's basketball alumni are invited to join us for the day of festivities including the alumni game, luncheon, current Tomcat teams taking on Westminster and post-game reception. More details coming soon!
Winter Ball 2012
Saturday, Feb. 11, 2012
Save the date to join us for the second annual Winter Ball at Thiel!
For more information or to RSVP to any events, contact Lauren Oman, Director of Alumni Services, at email@example.com or (724) 589-2042.